Wednesday, January 13, 2010

3500 candidates for 50 jobs

Our little city is not doing well. There have been major job losses over the last 2 years with the closure of several plants, the biggest being John Deere in which my future mother-in-law, father-in-law and step brother all lost their jobs along with umpteen hundred other people. There aren't many jobs in this city...not even part time ones that can make up for what unemployment insurance doesn't cover.

I consider us lucky even though Jer's laid off right now. It'll be three weeks tomorrow. But it could be worse, he could have lost his job all together and have no opportunities at all. Luckily, he's in a union and it's only a matter of time before there is another job for him AND we don't lose our benefits during his out of work time.

Yesterday the local Rona, which is slated to open in three months, held a job fair. There were people lined up outside the hotel they held it at for ours to try and get one of the 50 jobs they're offering. 3500 people to be exact. You know it's tough when 3500 people show up for 50 minimum wage jobs because there are no other options.

I feel incredibly sad about it. It's definitely a reality check.

I've been looking on and off for something part time to make a bit while Jer's off work...it's very discouraging to hear about the job fair yesterday. I'm thinking now that finding something is going to be harder than I thought. I check the job bank almost everyday. Nothing has been posted for our city since last Friday. Everything that is available is out of town and even then it's not much.

I really hope things pick up for everyone soon...this is horrible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm moving to Toronto - screw this!