Friday, October 17, 2008

Outraged is a very good describing word.

It seems I've had a lot to say over the last week-ish. I haven't posted it all here but I've wanted to. Instead I've been bitching about it to anyone who'll listen (even if they don't want to).

I'm OUTRAGED at this gov't/country/world.

It started with the election in the States. To think that anyone in their right mind could vote for a man who wants to decide what women do and don't do with their uteri is beyond me. In my opinion: No Uterus, No Say. Mr. McCain had a lot to say at the debate with Mr. Obama the other night and it was not good. It was blogged about here and here if you're interested. I'm not going to get into it but he doesn't think much of women and I think it would be very detrimental to their country for him to be elected as the next president.

Then of course we had our election here...which doesn't get nearly as much attention from our country as the American one. But even still, there was the thoughts of who to vote for and if it would really matter anyway. Turns out it didn't. I read a news article the next day about the election costing 300 Million dollars........and nothing has changed. All through the election I read about how the Tories weren't doing very well and all through my city there was chatter about how we need a different approach and everyone thought a different party would finally be elected.

What I would like to know is with all of that, who are all these people voting for the Tories? If we are in such a desperate need of change then why didn't it change?? Would it be so far off to wonder if the Tories are stealing votes or doing something they shouldn't be to gain votes (not unlike Mr. Bush)? How can it stay the same when so many people are thinking differently these days?

It doesn't help that only 58% of the voting population actually voted.

WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE???? It is your right and obligation to decide who our gov't will be made up of and you can't be bothered???? In Switzerland (or something like that, I read it somewhere), you MUST vote, by law, or be fined.

LETS DO THAT HERE. Maybe we'll get the change we've all be talking about.

And can we PLEASE stop crucifying the NDP? Yes, Bob Rae got in and fucked up BIG time...but that was how many years ago and he's a LIBERAL now!!!! Stop crucifying the party for one person's actions...he's not even there anymore.

Why are single people (and I know there are exceptions to every rule but I'm not talking about the people who abuse the system or commit fraud) who are down and out on their luck and in need of help living on $525/month while the same single people who have severe depression on ODSP (or disability insurance) living on almost $1000/month?

Why are single moms with one child living on that same $1000/month while that same mom on ODSP receiving almost double that?

What is the difference? Is the cost of living less if you're not disabled? I just don't understand.

It's ALMOST do-able to live on that amount in this area...and when I say almost I mean going without milk for 2 out of the 4 weeks there are in the month and going to the food bank the one time a month you're entitled to just to make ends meet.

I can't imagine anyone trying to survive on that amount in a larger city. It explains why a lot of people are having to choose between food and a roof over their heads.

(Disclaimer: I know there are people out there who buy tobacco, alcohol and drugs with their social assistance money, but there are a lot of people who don't as well...I know, I was one of them.)

Then there was the whole abortion protest thing.

EXCUSE ME, I DON'T LIKE YOUR OPINION SO STOP SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT PLEASE!!!! You're entitled to it, but I don't have to listen to it. It should not be forced on me. By law, I'm allowed to think what I want and I don't think the same as you and I do not force my views on you by way of poster boards along Lundy's Lane.

Then, in a different topic other than politics (because abortion is a huge political issue these days) is this man. Long story short in case you can open the link: A violent sex offender, who was released from jail Thursday for abducting and sexually assaulting a nine-year-old in Richmond Hill in 2004, has relocated to my city...about 10 minutes from where I live. Case was convicted Feb. 9, 2006, for kidnapping, sexual assault causing bodily harm and uttering death threats relating to a 2004 kidnapping and sexual assault of a nine-year-old female in York Region. He was originally moving to a waterfront Burlington neighbourhood. He changed those plans after police issued a warning to people living in the community that he would be residing in the Guelph Line and Lakeshore Road area of Burlington. By Thursday afternoon, Case was reported to be in Niagara Falls where he has a relative.

Both my boy's schools have sent home warnings about this man along with a Streetproofing guide and what to enforce in our children about strangers, ect.

His terms include not to have any contact with females younger than the age of 18 unless approved (I'd like to know who gets to approve this); not to attend areas where children can be expected to gather (being that this is one of the biggest tourist cities, I think that would exclude the whole city?) including parks, schools, playgrounds and recreation centres and to abstain from the purchase, possession or consumption of alcohol (and unless he's got someone watching him 24/7, I think violating this term would be pretty easy).

What really burns my ass is I've heard: Well he has to live somewhere and he has rights.

NOPE. NO HE DOESN'T. NOT ANYMORE. He gave up those rights when he repeatedly elbowed the little girls face, blackening and swelling her eyes shut, and left bruising around her neck by trying to strangle her. He lost any rights he had when he sexually assaulted, choked into unconsciousness and viciously beat that little girl.

The thing that gets me the most though? He served 2.5 years for his heinous crime. That's it. And now he's free and living in my city because, well, he has rights.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I guess that wasn't really a short version lol but I'm just so GD mad!!!)

Anyway, I'll stop now.

This is why this blog was originally called "My Soapbox and Other Stuff".

I'm off now...I'll put the soapbox away now.

3 comments:

This Guy said...

Alrighty... So we've gone political again, and we both know Bret doesn't do government... lol

Anywho, regarding the sex offender, I agree 100% with you. He lost his rights, he should be put to death, or jailed for the rest of his life. I don't understand why the PROLIFE activists arent having a lifechain about this, oh wait, i forgot they dont give a shit about the kid once its outta the womb, at least it would be a meaningful protest!!

Hey, there is an idea for you, its all well and good to blog about it, but it you really have a passion, why don't you organize a city/town meeting about this sex offender, we'll drive him right outta NF like they did in burlington. I'll do anything I can to help, so you lead it, i will be there by yourside! :)

As per mothers on social assistance, vs mothers on disability... Well, what can I say? If you cant afford kids, dont have em. Get a job. Sorry, cruel but tough. There are SO many out there that abuse the system. Its bad that some single mothers are getting more than others, but really, if your fine to work, but are instead poping out babies, time to get a job, and some birth control... I think that each case should be evaluated personally... Have 3 kids, wonderful job and something happens, house fire, husband dies, something traumatic, great, social assistance is perfect... But for some 16 year old kid, who wants to get knocked up so she can get outta daddies house and make some money off the system... like come on...

We all know girls like that too, I used to be one! ahahh kidding...

Anywho, those are my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

I agree with "this guy". Time to quit having kids and start getting on some birth control if you really need the govn't to pay for diapers and milk. My mom was a single mom for years, but still worked and provided for us, and wasn't on any social assistance except for the baby bonus check. She did fine with out the welfare check. You just have to stop being a lazy whore, close your legs and get a job. Simple stuff I think!

Anonymous said...

Very, VERY good post!