Saturday, February 13, 2010

Short lived success and Family Day

So, she wasn't so enthusiastic in the evening when I put my milk in said bottle.  She wouldn't even try it.  So I think we'll have to stick to watered down juice as a side with my homemade soup for her "mid-shift meal" when I'm working.  She just will NOT take it.  I know she'll be ok but I can't help but be a little bit sad that I can't give her what she wants, even just for that one meal when I'm not home.  It's good for us in the long run but bittersweet for me.

Anyway, we're having Jer's dad, step mom and brother and sisters over for dinner on Monday for family day.  I'm cooking a turkey that I got on sale at the butcher the last time I was there.  I'm really looking forward to it!  I'm also gonna make a lemon meringue pie with a graham cracker crust and some chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies for dessert.

Thinking a little down the road but I can't wait to be the one cooking for our families on holidays too.  Right now, we all get together on Christmas eve at a hall because there are too many of us but eventually I think that will come to an end (hopefully later rather than sooner, I love the big family get togethers!).  I'm hoping when we buy a house it will be big enough to fit everyone in for holidays.

When I was a little girl, my mom was always the one to cook dinners for holidays and special occassions like birthdays.  Whether it was turkey or roast beef or pork, I always loved when the whole family came together.  Even though I was the black sheep and made fun of by my "step brother and sister" and my cousins who always told me I was weird, I had aunts and uncles and my papa who always showed me that they loved me.  I loved it when they came over!  The smell of turkey at Christmas time is such a wonderful memory of that and look forward to my kids having the same kind of memories.

So, Happy Family Day!!!

No comments: