Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hello my name is Amie, and I am a surrogate mother.

So, when BoMom introduced me on her blog, she mentioned that I am a surrogate mom. So, I thought I should introduce that part of my life and mention it here on my own blog.

I gave birth to twin girls in November 2006 for friends of mine. Though we had some rough spots during the pregnancy (with bleeding and LOTS of contractions) and ultimately and to my dismay, a c-section at the end cuz the little buggers were breech, it truly was an incredible and amazing experience and I am proud and happy that I was able to complete a family just by lending my uterus.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I am doing it again!

So right now, I am on a drug called Lupron (which puts me in temporary menopause, and happens to make me incredibly bitchy :S) and am waiting for my cycle day one to start my estrogen pill. My intended mother (the lady whom will have her eggs harvested, fertilized and placed into my uterus because she no longer has one) will be starting her follicle stimulating drug in about 10 days or so...this will make her ovaries work over time and produce lots of eggs at once so that when they go in to retrieve them, there won't be just one.
Once retrieved, the eggs will be put into a petrie dish with my Intended Father's sperm to fertilize. Then we receive the "fertility report", meaning how many eggs fertilized and ultimately how many embryo's we have to work with. Three days after retrieval, we will transfer two of those little embryo's right into my warm, fluffy uterus. :)

So that transfer, we're hoping, should take place somewhere around October 20th...and if you're all interested, I will keep you up to date with what's going on and let you know for sure when they've been transferred, my first positive pregnancy test (because I test like a mad woman!), ultrasound confirmation, etc. and so on.

Let me know if you're not interested in reading about that and would rather I stick to my soapy boxes. :D

2 comments:

daisies said...

so wonderful ...

i had twins last year and had many of the same complications. unfortunately, they didn't survive but fortunately, i did get to spend some time with them before they passed away. i think that what you are doing is wondeful ... xox

Mich said...

Hi Amie,

What an incredible woman you are! You generosity is amazing. Wishing you rainbows and stardust for your beautiful journey ahead.

Love
mich
x.