Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Update on random things happening currently (and some recent past things)

So, the fundraiser didn't go as I'd hoped.  There weren't many people there and for the amount of people that RSVP'd that they were coming, I was disappointed. We did manage to raise close to $800 for Sarah and Lyric and their family though and I know that there were several people who were going to donate through her bank account so I'm not sure what the final total was.  I'd hoped for double that but Sarah was very grateful and appreciative of what was raised (of course, she's so awesome!).  So, who knows what my fundraising future holds but I hope to plan/participate in other fundraising efforts in the future.

In other news, we're done having babies now.  My husband went and got the big snip last week.  We have a lot of friends and family who are either trying or will be in the near future and we figure, rather than have more of our own, we'll borrow theirs for our baby fixes!  That being said, I feel old.  My reproductive days are over.  I am no longer in need of my uterus.  Next comes menopause!  Though if my aunt is right I have another 15 or so years before that happens but still...no longer needing my fertility has made me feel the age factor.  It's "the end of an era"!  I've been having babies for 14 years!  So yeah, bittersweet but I feel we made the right decision (and there was a LOT of contemplating).

As for the kids, they're all good.  James is super active in sports at school, first was soccer, now it's basketball and then the spring will bring volleyball, badminton, ect.  He's graduating grade 8 this year as well.  I can't believe it!  He's grown up so fast (in more ways than one) and next year he'll be venturing into high school and foot ball and advanced classes (that he chose...I know he can do it as long as he does his homework which is an uphill battle with him).  On top of that he bowls every weekend and has made it into a number of tournaments...he needs his ball fixed and once that happens he has the potential to be an EXCELLENT bowler...he's already great at it!

Jonah is doing well, though struggling with some of his french work.  He's not reading yet (though we're working hard on that with him) and he needs "considerable help" to complete tasks...in french that is.  Jer and I are...I don't want to say arguing because that's not the right word...differing?...about whether or not we should wait this year out and then send him to english school.  He's a smart kid, picks things up quickly, but he's struggling with the french language.  I know being bilingual (which he will still be, just not AS bilingual as if he were to complete grade school at a french school) is important but is it as important as excelling in an language that you do know??  So, we'll see what the summer brings and if he's still not reading I think he'll be changing schools, a prospect he's certainly on board with.  Other than that and being sick for the majority of the winter, he's enjoying Beaver's now and of course he's still bowling every Saturday...he loves to participate and this Friday he'll be racing his "Beaver Buggie" at the mall, he's sooooo excited!

Marryn is starting to enter her terrible two stage already and is adorable as ever.  Her newest word is "Dude!" which is so cute you just want to drop dead right there on the spot!!!  We're thinking we're going to put her into daycare one day a week starting in the late spring.  She doesn't get to be with kids other than her brother's much and I know she would really enjoy it.  We'll put her into a french daycare to get her ready for kindergarten.  She'll be 2 in June already...these two years have flown by!  Probably more so because I know this is the last toddler for us.  I'm going to try to start potty training in the summer too.  Surprisingly enough she's still in her crib and hasn't yet tried to climb out (KNOCK ON WOOD!!).  We have her toddler bed already set up and in her room though so when she does, she'll be familiar with it.

Jer and I are doing wonderful as well...we've been married for almost 4 months and it is bliss :)  We're planning a trip to Salem, MA for our 1st anniversary weekend.  I'm very excited!  We had originally hoped to stop there on our way to Virginia for our honeymoon but it seemed far out of the way and we wouldn't have had time to really enjoy it so we decided to bypass it.  This year though we'll leave early Friday morning and come home on the Monday (Halloween day) so that we're home to take the kids trick or treating.  I think it will be a fantastic weekend :)

Well, that's about it for now...I'm sure there is more but I've been writing this for about an hour between getting Marryn a snack and changing the laundry and what not...I'll be back again soon! 

No comments: